Lead

Oct 25 10 7:14 PM

Tags : :

I chose to rewrite KeyboardAutoHide as my second Cocoa application using AppleScriptObjC, because the original AppleScript version is quite a resource hog, and  I thought it would be fairly easy — my mistake. Nonetheless, I've created an AppleScriptObjC version that I'm calling AutoHideKeyboard.

It works a little differently from its AppleScript cousin, but still allows you to choose where you want to hide the Axiotron Quickclicks keyboard and how long the applet will delay before hiding the keyboard.

When you launch AutoHideKeyboard, you are presented with a control panel in which you can adjust the auto hide delay time and the fading behavior of the applet when it is not the frontmost app. 

This panel is surrounded by four rectangular buttons, which are used to unhide the keyboard window. 

Begin by setting the hide delay and fade behavior and then resize and move the panel to the desired hiding location. You might shrink it to a little flower of buttons and locate the panel along an edge so that only one button is visible.

Alternatively, you might shrink it to a single button and position it where you are working.

Then either hit a button or close the keyboard window, and the applet will activate. Thereafter, if the keyboard is not used for the preset delay time or is closed, it will shrink and turn into the little control panel. Then, if you hit one of the control panel's buttons, it will zoom up and become the keyboard window again.

Note that since AutoHideKeyboard is written in AppleScriptObjC, it will only work in Modbooks running Snow Leopard. 

Download: AutoHideKeyboard.zip

Source code is available at a GitHub repository.