Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Sep 7 10 12:42 PM

Tags : :

Modifier keys, command, option, shift and control, can be a problem on the Modbook because, without a keyboard, they work differently.

As their name indicates modifier keys alter a pen's actions — a click does something different depending which modifier key is pressed. This works fine with a keyboard since the altered state lasts only as long as you hold the key down. Using a virtual keyboard, the modifier key stays in the pressed state until you ‘un-press’ it. It is easy to forget to ‘un-press’ the key and the slight darkening of the key in the pressed key is easy to miss if you are not looking for it. This is a regular source of annoyance for me.

I have two suggestions for fixing this. First, there should be a clearer indication when modifier keys are pressed: a color or colors may appear on a dock icon, a menu item may light up, or perhaps hidden window may peek out showing the modifier key that is pressed. As part of this indicator there should be a convenient way to set or reset the modifier keys. Second, it should be an option for modifier keys to automatically ‘un-press’ after one pen action (a click or a drag).

Perhaps also, the utility that provides these capabilities could add three modifier keys not normally available on the Mac: middle click, 4th click, and 5th click.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 10 10 9:54 AM

The first thing I dreamed of was a tiny, plastic-strip like mini-keyboard with 5 to 8 keys. I'd simply stick it on the left side of the screen where it can be attached vie usb.

The most important keys: Alt, Shift, Cmd, Ctrl, Tab, Enter. Additionally a special key for cycling a couple of different key mappings would be fine. The Belkin Nostromo, a special keypad for Gamers, has this feature. Unfortunately it's quite bulky.

If anyone feels like doing something like that post your results :) At the time I just have the ideas:

- Using a keypad from a mobile phone
- Attaching it to a regular keyboard controller chip in a way that thoe desired keytrokes are sent via USB to the modbook

What do You think?

Marin

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#2 [url]

Nov 10 10 6:55 PM

It sounds like you've been dreaming of EdKeys, a project started at Life of a Modbook blog but never finished. 

Nonetheless, there is an easy way to make something similar. Using Velcro tape, velcro your Apple Remote facing down on the edge of the screen (mine works fine on either the right or left side). Then use Mira or Remote Buddy to program the remote to do what you want. 

Alternatively, you could wait until I make a software version that sits on the edge of the screen. I'll probably have a preliminary version out this weekend. 

EricN

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#4 [url]

Dec 10 10 1:41 PM

Alternatively, you could wait until I make a software version that sits on the edge of the screen. I'll probably have a preliminary version out this weekend. 

-ericn

I guess it took me a lot longer than expected — just about everything I tried hit a dead end. Finally, I've got a version based on a hack involving Quickclicks. Nonetheless, it works. Try it:

ModKeys — A software key panel to replace Express Keys

EricN

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help