Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Jul 8 10 5:02 PM

Tags : :

I just downloaded and started playing with Vision Objects' MyScript Studio Notes Editiona note taking and organizing application, and I'm not really sure what to think. It is built by the same company that gave us Quickscript, the quite functional, if buggy, handwriting recognition app.

It does not make a good first impression. MyScript Studio's user interface is just short of hideous with detailing that might be described as Gothic.

Nonetheless, if you overlook all the icons that you are never going to use and those that work oddly, or all screen space the app wastes, or the folders that it insists on putting in your main directory, you realize that there are some good ideas hidden here. The ability to convert figures and handwritten notes into vector graphics and text is cool. The split screen works nicely. The apps ability to organize notes is rudimentary but O.K. I'm going to play with it a bit more before making up my mind. Download it yourself at Vision Objects' website. It has a 30-day trial.

[How about that name, MyScript Studio Notes Edition, memorable, huh? Microsoft couldn't do any better.]

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 14 10 10:04 AM

I took a look at this as well, but I haven't done much with it. I had hoped that it would allow me to import documents that I could then annotate and save. I further hoped that I would be able to use the Studio search engine to search those annotations. 

Perhaps there is a way to import .doc and .pdf files, but I have not yet found it.

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#2 [url]

Jul 14 10 5:34 PM

I looks as though they've intended it as a note taking app. Annotation of PDFs or Word files does not appear possible.

For note taking, though, it might be useful. Take handwritten notes in the app (cursing every time you want to use the eraser). Convert and correct the sections of the notes that are not figures or math, and save as a PDF. As such, your notes would be fully searchable and sharable.

Unfortunately, the app is so wonky, and its icons, tool bars, and other assorted crap occupy so much screen space that I doubt that I could stand taking notes with it.

EricN

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 21 10 8:41 AM

I finally tried it since school is getting close. Just like what you said takes a lot of screen space. they should add a full screen mode to make it easier to write, Then It might actually be useful. Until then I will stick with Curio. 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help