Remove this ad

Lead

May 27 10 3:59 AM

Tags : :

Hello everyone,
Does anybody have this problem where lines drawn diagonally across the screen gives a jagged line. I have no problem with lines drawn horizontally and vertically. Attached is a line test sample showing what I am facing.

pma

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#3 [url]

May 27 10 7:27 PM

In Sketchbook Express, it appears as though I also experience some of the ‘wavy-line syndrome’. On my Modbook, unlike yours, it appears to have no particular preference for diagonal lines:

This is undoubtedly radio frequencies generated by internal components of the tablet interfering with the digitizer's detection of the stylus. That the problem is much worse in the upper left corner where RF interference is strongest confirms this conclusion:

Note that my Modbook was one of the very early models, and it never received the additional shielding associated with the Bluetooth update, so I'd expect this sort of problem on my Modbook to be worse than most.

You may want to contact the vendor who built your Modbook to see if they'll install extra shielding.  
EricN

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 28 10 3:05 AM

Thanks for your response EricN. I contacted OWC about the issue and I'm waiting to hear a response as to how they will resolve this issue for me. Are the samples you posted current? If so, how do you work with lines as jagged as that? 

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#5 [url]

May 28 10 7:01 AM

Honestly, I've never noticed. I'm not an artist. I draw for communication and as a way to think through a problem, While I do plenty of drawing on my Modbook, its a/l quick and freehand, and I don't draw in the upper lefthand corner of the screen. So the slight wobbles of my post's first image I would ascribe to my ineptitude as a draftsman.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

May 29 10 2:46 PM

I've been in contact with OWC to figure out a solution on how to address this issue. They given me several methods to approach this issue. I've tried them all out but still haven't resolved the issue. Posted below will the conversation I had regarding the issue with OWC. This will be useful if any future member encounter a similar issue. I will continue to update this post.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

1st Attempt

If you've made sure you are attempting to reset/calibrate the pen/stylus when this skipping line occurs (button directly near power button) with no success, I next recommend a PRAM reset which will require you connect a USB keyboard:

PRAM Reset:

1) Start the machine while holding down the Option-Apple-P-R keys

2) Wait until you hear the 3rd startup chime, then let go of the keys and let the machine boot up.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

2nd Attempt

It is possible that the SMC could encounter a problem that may cause unusual system behavior typically related to the symptoms you've described. In some cases, resetting the SMC may be the only correct method to resolve such an issue, especially since zapping the PRAM did not seem to help.    

1.    Shut down the computer.    
2.    Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.    
3.    Remove the battery.    
4.    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.    
5.    Release the power button.    
6.    Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.    
7.    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that still doesn't work I would try cleaning up some of the system cache files.I would download and install Onyx:http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html
Once installed if you click on the "Automation" tab and select all the options available.It will run through and verify your disk as well as repair permissions and clean all of the system caches then ask you to reboot.

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#7 [url]

Jul 7 10 10:03 AM

Hey Philip,

Any news on the jagged line issue? Did any of OWC's proposed fixes work? Or did you have to send the Modbook in for repair.

EricN

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 8 10 11:01 AM

I did have to send in my modbook for testing. After initial test I was told that it was normal for the modbook to have such a line quality and that the jaggedness would look more drastic if zoomed in after drawing it. I was not satisfied with the results they had given me. 

I had my instructor show me if his modbook had a similar issue. Surprisingly, it did had jagged lines drawn in Photoshop. However, he resolved the issue by clicking on some of the brush settings inside Photoshop. I am receiving my modbook back this weekend. As soon as I try the fix inside Photoshop, I will post it on there for any future user who might want to avoid the jagged lines inside Photoshop.

Although there is a fix inside Photoshop, I still wonder if the issue can be fixed in other softwares digital artists may use. I have used Wacom's Cintiqs and I am comparing my experience between the Cintiq and modbook. I hope the modbook pro will be more like the cintiq if not better.

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#9 [url]

Sep 6 10 5:05 PM

Judging from a recent post at Wacom's support forums, Cintiqs have the exactly the same problem with jagged lines. This screen shot is from a Cintiq of lines made with a straightedge (click on the image for a larger view):

The following image is a close up of the lower right corner of the screen shot:

EricN

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help