Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 28 10 5:26 PM

Tags : :

There have been a a couple requests (here and here) at Axiotron's forum for a way to simplify navigation between the Modbook and an attached monitor. Occasionally, one wants to take advantage of the higher resolution and brighter screen of a external display and use the Modbook like a Bamboo tablet to interact with the external display. As things stand, this can be done, but it is not very convenient. And it is particularly cumbersome if you need to switch back and forth between the Modbook and external display. In response, I've built an AppleScript to address this issue. It is not perfect and is a touch slow, but it does the job.

There are basically two ways to switch the displays that the Modbook digitizer (the tablet) controls. Using the "Calibrate" tab of the Pen Tablet pane in System Preferences, one can use a drop-down box for switching displays.

Alternatively, one can use the "Arrangement" tab of the Displays pane to change the primary display. By moving the image of the menu bar from one display to the other. 

The AppleScript applet (zip-file below) uses the first approach (since I don't know how to script the second). Unfortunately, that means when you switch to the external display you will not have access to the menu bar.

The script is very easy to use. After you connect an external display to your Modbook, running the script once will switch to mouse mode allowing you to navigate to the external display. Once there, if you run the script again, you will be able to control the new display using the Modbook as a tablet. Running the script yet again, switches back to mouse mode, and you can navigate back to the Modbook. Then a fourth running of the script returns everything back to normal.

The most convenient way to use the applet is to attach it to a pen button or put it on your pen's pop-up menu. You could also attach it to an Abracadabra gesture or install it as a keyboard shortcut

Download: SwitchTabletDisplay.zip  [Updated June 27, 2010]

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#1 [url]

Jul 1 10 9:19 PM

Using the newly improved fb-rotate, I've created two new AppleScript applets for switching displays.

The first is an improved version of the above SwitchTabletDisplay only in the new version the menu bar follows you around as you switch displays providing a much more functional user experience. Otherwise, it works the same way: first run the applet to switch to mouse mode so you can navigate to the display you want to switch to, and once there, run it again to return to tablet mode moving the menu bar to the new display in the process. To switch back to the original display, repeat. The applet should work with any Wacom tablet just as well as it does with the Modbook. I'm calling it: SwitchTabletDisplayM — unlovely, but it is just a utility script.

Download: SwitchTabletDisplayM.zip

The second is a simpler applet that cycles the menu bar through all the available displays. It does not use any tablet functionality, so it will work on any Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard. 

Download: MoveMenuBar.zip

Please let me know if you have any problems when using these applets.

EricN

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help