ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 24 10 1:24 PM

Tags : :

Originally Posted by EricN on April 13, 2010 at 4:41pm

A BRIEF HISTORY OF WAITING FOR THE MODBOOK PRO AND SYNERGY TOUCH

On January 07, 2009, Axiotron said,

The Modbook Pro is slated to ship in May/June 2009. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for an Axiotron Modbook Pro built from a customer-supplied Apple MacBook Pro base system via Axiotron Modservice™ starts at $3,049. An Axiotron Modbook Pro built from a brand new Apple MacBook Pro base system starts at $4,998.

and to excite those like me who couldn't even consider spending $5000 on a portable computer, however cool, they added,

Beginning in April 2009, Axiotron will make Synergy Touch available as a hardware and software upgrade to the Modbook for $449. Customers will have the option to purchase their new Modbooks with Synergy Touch, and current owners of the Modbook will have the option to upgrade their existing Modbook.

Sadly, April and May passed in silence. Then, on June 12, 2009, Axiotron said,

... Axiotron today announced that the Synergy™ Touch upgrade for Modbooks is scheduled to ship in late 2009 and the Modbook Pro at the end of 2009.

Towards the end of 2009, on November 05, 2009, Axiotron said,

Axiotron today also announced that the Modbook Pro tablet computer is planned for release at the end of the second quarter of 2010.

Winter's gloom settled in as they added,

Axiotron is currently reevaluating the market potential of SynergyTouch hardware/software upgrades for existing Modbooks.

As of April 13, 2010, Axiotron's Modbook Pro webpage still contained the note:

So there is still hope, assuming their bankers are willing to finance a production run.

Update on April 15:

Axiotron's Support One has been especially talkative of late providing more reason to be hopeful.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#4 [url]

Jun 14 10 5:16 PM

15 DAYS left until the end of the second quarter when the Modbook Pro and Synergy Touch are suppose to ship.  

Axiotron still has this note

on their Modbook Pro Webpage. So either they intend to ship on time, or they are so busy addressing financial and regulatory obligations that they haven't had time to change it.

[Note: If the link to the above note's image breaks you'll know its been changed.]

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 15 10 9:09 AM

fingers crossed let hope they actually go through with this or At less give us some type Of feedback. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jun 16 10 9:57 PM

We've been hoping for a loooong time now.  I ordered one in jan of 2009 then subsequently all the pre orders were canceled at the end of 2009  and I guess we a re still waiting.  

BUT I am a little more optimistic now that the creditors and stock holders have approved the resolutions set forward for the restructuring of the company.  I suspect they would not have done this unless there was actually new products that could be pushed out within a reasonable timeframe. So I guess we all have to just try to keep tuned into both the home page and the financial disclosures they are doing bi-weekly

Anyway the Synergy touch interface cannot be a simple software upgrade because it implies a touch sensitive display and the one that is used for the modbook is only pen sensitive.   And I doubt that they have changed this with out notice and while rebating the machines about 500US$ since the new Macbook was introduced.  A new screen with more functions would no doubt make the machine even more expensive by about 500US$ if I remember the pricing option for last year

felix b.

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#7 [url]

Jun 17 10 12:47 PM

I'm more optimistic for the same reason, but I'd be very surprised if the Modbook Pro ships on time. I'm hoping, however, they don't pull what they did last year — let the deadline slide by without saying anything.

They don't need to replace the display to upgrade to Synergy Touch, just the digitizer. Wacom now has a full line of touch sensitive digitizers, some of which are quite inexpensive. I'm hoping for an upgrade option, which I think would be worth it at the quoted price of $449. However, they backed away from Synergy Touch as an upgrade last November. 

EricN

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help