Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 24 10 12:59 PM

Tags : :

Originally Posted by EricN on April 13, 2010 at 4:41pm

When I discovered a while back that the Modbook's pen tablet was AppleScriptable, I was pretty excited.  The first thing I focused on was using AppleScript to increase my stylus button options. The second thing I looked at, and what excited me most, was improving with my tablet calibration. Wacom's approach to calibration is completely incompetent: Even though the Modbook's tablet-digitizer has a fairly linear response, to imagine that just two points — one in the upper left and one in the lower right screen corners — will be perfectly representative of all points on the screen is both practically and mathematically crazy. This stupidity is compounded by the Modbook's metal bezel, which slightly distorts the pen's R/F field when the pen is near the screen edge. Hence Wacom's chosen calibration points are particularly unrepresentative. (By comparison, my old Palm Pilot, with a much much smaller screen, used five points of calibration.) Over time, I've learned to cheat Wacom's calibration app to get decent results. Nonetheless, this has been a source of frustration for me, and I'm very pleased to be able to use AppleScript to fix it. 

I've put together four AppleScript-based tools: 

ReCalibrateTablet.app

Using 13 calibration points, this script/applet finds a calibration that best fits the data, a significant improvement over Wacom's calibration app.

(I've not yet figured out how to hide the mouse cursor, and, since tablet calibration is much easier when the cursor is hidden, you may want to grab a copy of Cursorcerer to help with that.) 

FineTuneCalibration.scpt

A simple script for fine-tuning your present calibration.

RevertToCalibration.scpt

This script allows you to revert back to a previous calibration. 

EditCalibrations.scpt

This script allows you to delete or re-name previous calibrations. You might use this to refine your list of calibrations so that you have one for on a stand, one for on your lap, one for in bed, etc. 

I've included support for a few non-Modbook screen resolutions so that these scripts might be used with other Wacom products.

The scripts are included in  CalibrateTablet.zip  [last updated June 17, 2010]

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#2 [url]

Jun 17 10 11:13 PM

While fixing a minor problem that Apple's latest update to Snow Leopard (10.6.4) induced in ReCalibrateTablet.app, I discovered a more serious bug affecting Leopard users and users of Axiotron's older tablet drivers. If you have encountered, this alert box

followed by a non-responsive tablet. I have put together a work around.

If you are affected by this problem, the applet will likely prompt you to move the applet to a new location, one whose full path contains no spaces. The Applications folder is the simplest choice, but anywhere contained in folders whose names contain only letters and numbers will do. This bug does not appear to affect Snow Leopard users.

The above download link (CalibrateTablet.zip) has been updated to include the work around.

EricN  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help