Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 20 10 11:17 PM

Tags : :

Originally Posted by Kirsten Robinson on March 10, 2010 at 8:51am

I am having trouble writing on a PDF document.  I need to be able to write on the documents and then add pages in between as well.  Any suggestions?  I have tried to use INK but I don't know how.

Reply to This

Reply by EricN on March 10, 2010 at 5:41pm

There are a few options — all have compromises associated with them:

Preview

Comes with Mac OSX Snow Leopard

No freehand annotation, but other sorts of annotation available. Page insertion possible.

inkBook

$40

Decent handwriting recognition but a bit difficult to use and mashes the PDF into an image. Page insertion possible.

I use this for notetaking, but not PDF annotation.

Skim

free

Excellent PDF reader and annotator, but with problematic free-hand annotation and no handwriting recognition. Page insertion NOT possible.

I use this for my PDF reader and annotator. The free hand annotation works pretty well in Presentation Mode.

Jarnal

free - Java based

Horrible handwriting recognition, very awkward interface, but good free hand annotation. Page insertion possible.

NoteLab

free - Java based

Best long term prospects, but a bit new and unpolished. No handwriting recognition. Page insertion possible.

PDF Pen and PDF Clerk are expensive, powerful PDF creation apps, but freehand annotation in both is worse than all of the above except, of course, Preview.

Reply to This

Reply by ajax xu on March 23, 2010 at 2:42am

i am using skim as well, free and powerful, i like rotate it 90 degree, and read, highlight, make notes. however it seems hving some problems when i highlight in 90 degree, the highlighted will hving some funny shape. it doesnt matter anyway.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#3 [url]

May 31 10 5:24 PM

I'm assuming that you are trying to select and delete annotations that you have made using Skim.

To select an annotation, click on it. To select more than one annotation, shift-click on each annotation that you want to include (attaching shift-modifier to a pen button may help – see here). There is no way, that I know of, to lasso a group of annotations into a selection, and Select AIl does not work on annotations. To delete, hit the delete key or pick out the Delete item in the Edit menu. Alternatively, one can use Undo to remove, one by one, each of your past few annotations. Lack of convenient erasure and selection tools, make freehand annotation problematic in Skim.

In spite of these issues, I use Skim as my default PDF reader and annotation tool because it does so many other things well and because it is the only reader for which I've been able to adapt automatic document rotation (SkimFlip). I do, however, use a custom version of SkimFlip to make deletion of annotations slightly easier. In my custom version, when you turn off Tilt to Turn pages, you effectively turn on a tilt to Undo / Redo. In this mode, if you tilt strongly to the left, the script will issue undo commands separated by 0.6 second delay. Using this, you can rather quickly remove you last several annotations. Tilting to the right sends redo commands in a similar fashion. Obviously, using this version of SkimFlip on the bus is unwise.

If anyone is interested, I'm including this version as a members-only download (SkimFlipSpecial.zip). If I get feedback, I may try to work the functionality into my regular version of SkimFlip. 

EricN

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help