Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 20 10 10:44 PM

Tags : :

Originally Posted by TomG on January 7, 2010 at 11:44am

Just got my Modbook in the last couple weeks and it is totally awesome!

Thanks @EricN for the Quicksilver screencast. When I first watched it before getting my MB I didn't realize how great Quicksilver with Abracadabra really is... until I actually set it up yesterday.

First, for some reason, when I add a new gesture trigger, I have to quit and re-launch Quicksilver. I'm on Snow Leopard -- could be related to the new beta version.

Second, is there a way to create an AppleScript to bring up Axiotron's Quickscript entry window? I don't know if there's a keyboard shortcut (since Axio probably assumed one would not have a keyboard attached!) or another way to "tell application process 'Quickscript' to (show/hide window)..."?

I'd like to create a gesture for this in Abracadabra.

Thanks!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#1 [url]

Apr 20 10 10:50 PM

Original Reply by EricN on January 7, 2010 at 8:29pm

First, for some reason, when I add a new gesture trigger, I have to quit and re-launch Quicksilver. I'm on Snow Leopard -- could be related to the new beta version.

I do not have this problem in Leopard or Snow Leopard. Which version of Quicksilver are you using?

Second, is there a way to create an AppleScript to bring up Axiotron's Quickscript entry window? I don't know if there's a keyboard shortcut (since Axio probably assumed one would not have a keyboard attached!) or another way to "tell application process 'Quickscript' to (show/hide window)..."?

Yes, in principle it is easy. Just kill the Quickscript process and restart it.

tell application "Axiotron Quickscript" to quit

tell application "Axiotron Quickscript" to activate

But really, you would want to turn Ink's Write Anywhere service off. I have not found a good way to do this (admittedly, I have not worked very hard). I do have an ugly solution however (see below).

Similarly, I'd want to turn Write Anywhere on again when I invoke Quicksilver. I have a similarly ugly solution for that also. Perhaps, I'll post a question at Macscripters.

Download: ActivateQuickscript.scpt

Download: InvokeQuicksilver.scpt

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#2 [url]

Apr 20 10 11:01 PM

Original Reply by TomG on January 7, 2010 at 10:21pm

I'm running ß57 (3840). It is the download version for OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I wonder if the version you're running (if different) would work better or even be compatible with SL?

Your "hack" scripts work great, thanks!! Interesting about the Write Anywhere feature. How do you integrate it (personally)? I find it a bit annoying when it pops up while I'm trying to move icons and windows around, or write in CP NoteBook (as it has inkwell built-in so as to retain the graphic vectors of one's own handwriting as well as the recognized text). Do you use the "pause momentarily" feature or assign a button with Write Anywhere?

Interesting. Just testing Write Anywhere now with the Applescript Editor open... and Inkwell does a pretty good job of recognizing my handwriting (although no cursive recognition).

Which do you prefer, Inkwell or Quickscript?

And, what do you use for math formulas? Matlab? (I see some various Google results for 'Matlab handwriting recognition' but not much concrete.) Is there a good note-taking tool that would recognize hand-written formulas?

I agree 100% on the open source idea as well. I'm learning Objective-C by writing an app that takes a standard video camera input for use as a distance viewing device in class. I'll write about using that on the Modbook soon... but it would be nice to contribute to a note-taking project as well. :-)

Thanks!!

Reply to This

Reply by EricN on January 24, 2010 at 3:56pm

I'm sorry this response is not very timely. I hope it is helpful nonetheless.

I'm running ß57 (3840). It is the download version for OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I wonder if the version you're running (if different) would work better or even be compatible with SL?

I'm using the same version as you, and yet, when I add a gesture I do not need to restart QS. I'm not sure what difference between your setup and mine that would account for this difference.

Your "hack" scripts work great, thanks!! Interesting about the Write Anywhere feature. How do you integrate it (personally)? I find it a bit annoying when it pops up while I'm trying to move icons and windows around, or write in CP NoteBook (as it has inkwell built-in so as to retain the graphic vectors of one's own handwriting as well as the recognized text). Do you use the "pause momentarily" feature or assign a button with Write Anywhere?

I use Ink's Write Anywhere to enter text into Quicksilver since Quickscript's peculiar insistence on putting something after the text (a space, enter, or something) makes it unusable with QS as well as many other search boxes. Moreover, since Quickscript's approach to individual character entry is so clunky and cumbersome, I find Ink does a much better job with non-dictionary based handwriting recognition. I use the "pause momentarily" setting and fussed with the options until it works naturally for me. In the past, I've assigned the lower pen button to inking while setting the lower button in the Pen preferences to Modifier Key > Control. This also works acceptably as there where not too many conflicts.

And, what do you use for math formulas? Matlab? (I see some various Google results for 'Matlab handwriting recognition' but not much concrete.) Is there a good note-taking tool that would recognize hand-written formulas?

For math I use LaTex (and a keyboard of course). I don't use anything to recognize the math formulas in my notes. I understand that Windows7 has a built in math recognition that works fairly well, but I haven't used it. There are also third party products for Windows like MoboMath. For Macs, I've noticed JEquation, which looks pretty cool and works with LaTex, but I've not yet played with it. I do use Detexify2 which I find helps when I've forgotten my LaTex coding.

I agree 100% on the open source idea as well. I'm learning Objective-C by writing an app that takes a standard video camera input for use as a distance viewing device in class. I'll write about using that on the Modbook soon... but it would be nice to contribute to a note-taking project as well. :-)

If I had the time and the skill, I'd try to fork the Skim project to improve the freehand annotation tool and add Ink based handwriting recognition to the app (the project owner has been unfriendly to suggested improvements in the freehand tool suggesting that there are structural issues that such improvements difficult.) Good luck with your efforts.

EricN

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 20 10 11:07 PM

Original Reply by ajax xu on March 14, 2010 at 7:09am

'I got my Modbook 5 days ago.

yesterday, im so impressed of the video about gesture by using quicksilver. i just did it in my modbook and edited some basic gesture command with in 3 hours, i am so excited about it, even forgot what time is it, can't sleep!

BIG Thanks For Eric!

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#5 [url]

Sep 28 10 11:00 PM

QsilverQscript is an improved AppleScript that invokes the productivity app Quicksilver and the handwriting recognition app Axiotron Quickscript simultaneously, so that one can use Quickscript to conveniently enter text into a Quicksilver action. There is a standard AppleScript version that works in either Leopard or Snow Leopard and a slightly faster AppleScriptObjC version that is Snow Leopard only.

Download: QsilverQscript.zip

[QsilverQscript source code at Github]

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help