Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

Lead

Apr 18 10 9:48 PM

Tags : :

Originally Posted by EricN on December 14, 2009 at 10:29pm

Last Month, Wacom posted a driver update for its consumer grade pen tablets. As a couple people at Axiotron forums have discovered, this driver (5.2.1-3) also works on the Modbook. It is straightforward to install and appears to improve the calibration a bit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ericn

superstar

#1 [url]

Apr 18 10 10:10 PM

Reply by William Clark on January 18, 2010 at 10:56am

I am interested i a set of Wacom drivers for the ModBook that will allow me to annotate on top of a Keynote/Powerpoint presentation. At the moment I seem to be limited to Powerpoint's pen function, or an add on like PowerDraw. Any sign of such a thing - it is routine in the PC tablets?

Reply to This

I'm sorry, I've been unable to keep up with stuff the last couple weeks. Hence my response is not too timely.

I would not expect Wacom pen drivers to affect your ability to annotate in Powerpoint since Wacom's drivers are basically just very fancy mouse drivers for a very fancy mouse. However, you imply that on the PC side the pen drivers allow you to annotate in applications. Are you sure that this ability is not a function of the individual app or the Microsoft Tablet OS?

EriicN

Reply by Tom J. Byrne on March 26, 2010 at 10:03pm

Hi Eric

I followed the advice and downloaded the wacom tablet software. It does improve the sensitivity of the modbook pen, a lot but the callibration was off by a lot. So I sent into the sysyem preferences to adjust that and found that I couldn't. The pen driver for the modbook had been disabled. I restarted the computer and found that on restart the modbook pen didn't work at all. I tried redownloading the driver from the Axiotron site and reinstalling it. It didn't work. Now I'm going to try deleting all the drivers software and reinstalling the axiotron driver simply because I need to get this working for a meeting later today.

I would like to benefit from the increased sensitivity of the wacom driver. Is there a way?

Best

Tom

Reply to This

Reply by Tom J. Byrne on March 26, 2010 at 11:12pm

Update: I uninstalled the wacom and the modbook drivers. Reinstalled the new Modbook driver and didn't even need to restart. The latest version of the Modbook driver is 5.8 and it has really increased the sensitivity of the pen. The calibration is a lot better too. I didn't even need to adjust it.

Before I uninstalled the Wacom driver I tried to get it to calibrate with the screen. I followed every option but nothing would make it work.

Reply to This

Reply by EricN on March 27, 2010 at 10:31am

I'm pretty confused about what happened on your Modbook: The driver was disabled at one point, but you still "... followed every option" to calibrate? My best guess is that the Wacom driver never actually got installed or got installed properly. Snow Leopard has a built in pen driver whose calibration is way off. I'm guessing you were using that for a time. Nonetheless, you appear to have stumbled across the best approach to replacing Wacom drivers: first uninstall the previous driver. Then install the new one.

I've been using the new Wacom driver — at the link in my post — for the past 4+ months without trouble.

Trying to calibrate based on only two calibration points, as Wacom attempts to do, is insane. I think the reason calibration appears better when you install a new driver is that is uses a default calibration. Any use of Wacom's stupidly designed calibration pane is likely to make things worse. I'm thinking about writing an improved calibration app, but I'll need to learn bit about building user interfaces first.

Reply to This

Reply by Tom J. Byrne on March 27, 2010 at 11:13am

You're probably right. I did stumble in there but was surprised it worked. I don't have a mouse so was afraid that the pen wouldn't continue to work with the driver disabled. The thing was to install the Modbook driver before the restart.

It's genuinely good. Very much better calibration than the first version I had and the pressure sensitivity has gone right up. Before it was a bit like painting with a brick.

Here's a doodle I did with it on the train today.

Cheers

Tom

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 19 10 1:13 AM

Anyone know if the updated Wacom driver...

http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=219

...works?

I'm not sure what the (RC) means... it seems to have been added since the bamboo 'touch' tablets have come out.  Does this matter?

Also, are the Wacom drivers preferable over the Axiontron ones?  Why or why not?

I have almost gotten everything together to do my reformat and clean Snow Leopard install (as opposed to upgrade), and this driver is, I think, the last thing I need.

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

ericn

superstar

#4 [url]

Dec 20 10 12:06 AM

The recent Wacom pen tablet drivers (for Bamboo and Graphire tablets) all work on the Modbook.

The drivers dated,
Nov 12, 2009: Driver 5.2.1-3
Jul 15, 2010: 5.2.3-4
work well on Snow Leopard and so far as I can tell appear identical in how they work on the Modbook.

The most recent driver dated,
Sep 20, 2010: 5.2.4-3
is different. Wacom has completely changed how it organizes its preference file (still not a .plist file). So until I rebuild PenPressurizer, it will not work with this new preference file. At present, I'd recommend sticking with one of the two earlier drivers.

EricN

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help